BCTF Bargaining Bulletin
November 21, 1997
Another contrast between packages:
DISMISSAL, DISCIPLINE FOR MISCONDUCT
- Largely reflects current practices in contract
- Due process for all forms of discipline
- Board decision-making independent
- Board shall not act on anonymous or unsigned allegations
- Diminishes current employee rights and protections
- Only applies to suspension and dismissal, not other forms of discipline
- Superintendent present when board deliberates and decides
- Board may investigate any allegation
Watch for another contrast between proposals in the next Bargaining Bulletin
Activity at the table
On November 18, we signed off an amendment to the grievance procedure which provides an additional, mutually agreed upon pre-arbitration meeting between BCTF and BCPSEA. Both sides reviewed proposals on Dismissal, Discipline for Misconduct. Negotiations will resume next week.
Provincial Early Retirement Incentive Plan (ERIP)
A draft letter of understanding has been agreed to (but not ratified) by representatives of the BCTF, BCPSEA, and the Ministry of Education, Skills and Training that sets our the terms and procedures of the provincial ERIP.
The provincial plan does not affect the status of existing district plans. The draft timeline calls for applications to be submitted by February 16, 1998. More detailed information has been sent to your local association president.