Internal Mediation Service
The Internal Mediation Service (IMS) is a team of volunteer BCTF members, trained and experienced as mediators. They work with members and others to help resolve workplace conflicts that threaten positive relationships.
IMS will mediate conflicts between individual members, members and support staff, and members and administrators. They will also work with small groups within schools, local executives, departments, LSAs, or PSAs as appropriate.
Mediation is a carefully designed process that brings people together in conversations, with mediators present, to help them reach a resolution to a dispute. It is a non-adversarial approach to conflict resolution.
In mediation, “the process” is managed by the mediators; the content and resolution are the responsibility of the parties. Participants have often developed ineffective communication styles which contribute to their conflict. Mediators can have a positive influence by modeling and reinforcing effective communication skills.
All proceedings and information shared during the process are strictly confidential between the participants and the mediators. The participants must agree to maintain the confidentiality or the proceedings. The mediators do not keep or share any records or agreements and do not make reports.
32.06—Procedures of the Internal Mediation Service
- Two mediators will be assigned to a particular case. One of the two will act as chairperson.
- Mediators appointed to the BCTF Internal Mediation Service will elect a chairperson each year from among the group who will, after consultation with the staff person assigned to the program, screen and assign cases.
- The chairperson of the team responsible for the case, in consultation with the staff person assigned to the program, take responsibility for adequate follow-up.
- Mediators will not submit reports about the content of cases mediated to anyone.
- Records will be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Cases may be discussed with members of the mediation group or with appropriate BCTF staff on a privileged communication basis at any time.
- In the event that a mediation case develops into an ethics case, no information from the mediators will be requested by the Judicial Council, nor will any be offered.
For further information on the Internal Mediation Services process, please see the BCTF Members’ Guide, or contact Sherry Payne, BCTF Ethics Administrator, at 604-871-1803, toll free 1-800-663-9163, local 1803, or email@example.com.