Teaching to Diversity Links
The majority of the following web links have a focus on diverse learners and those working in the field of special education, learning assistance or english as a second language.
Community and Professional Organizations
- The British Columbia Association of School Psychologists furthers the standards of school psychology practice in order to promote effective service to all students and their families.
- BC Ministry of Education Provincial Outreach Program for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (POPFASD)
We are a new Provincial Outreach Program formed in September, 2006. Our site is designed to help teachers, parents, students and others increase their understanding of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). To have full access to our site, you must first register (click on "Register" in the menu bar). In future visits, you will need to log in using your user name and password.
- Canada Northwest FASD Research Network
A research network regarding Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder prevention and treatment to improve in the lives of affected individuals, their families, and communities.
- To build a sustainable research network
- To build research capacity and knowledge across and within all communities
- To identify priority research questions and themes relating to FASD policy and practice
- To develop comprehensive and culturally appropriate prevention, surveillance, diagnosis & intervention research programs to answer research questions in ways that can be understood, utilized, and applied.
- Parent Support Groups – groups geared to parent support
- Special Education Partners' Group – consists of provincial community organizations with an interest in Special Education
- Sports and Leisure Activities – list of organizations which provide sports and leisure opportunities for children and youth with disabilities both in the Lower Mainland and around B.C.
- Colleges – offering Special Education assistant training
- Colleges – offering Adult Special Education Courses
- The Disability Resource Network of BC (DRN) is a provincial organization that represents individuals who provide programs and support services for persons with disabilities at the post-secondary educational level. It provides information for those focusing on assisting students with special needs in their transition to post-secondary.
BCTF Provincial Specialist Associations (PSAs) related to teaching to diverse student needs:
- Teachers' Gateway to Special Education is a site developed by the Ontario Teachers' Federation (OTF). It provides strategies and resources for teaching students with special needs in elementary and secondary schools.
- TeAchnology provides free and easy to use resources for teachers dedicated to improving the education of today's generation of students. Includes free access to: lesson plans, teaching tips and themes, printable worksheets, printable generators, and Webquests. Math, English, Socials, and Science.
- InformedEd - a website, developed by Open Colleges of Australia. It is your learning and ideas hub. This is a portal for you to hunt-and-gather training news and industry insights in the universe of eLearning and Education Technology.
BC School District Student Support Services