Parent Presentations Information and Invitation
Parent presentations, introduced in 1999, have proven to be one of our most effective public relations tools in our work with parents. Last year, our parent presenters, ambassadors for the teachers of BC, brought a positive and constructive message directly to approximately 2,000 parents across the province. This year, with your participation, we hope to reach even more.
A flyer outlining the program and the booking procedure is sent to all school PACs at the beginning of September. We are offering English, Aboriginal, and Francophone/Immersion workshops.
- Advocating for your Child
- Show Racism the Red Card
- So We Have a Revised Curriculum: What Does This Mean for My Child?
- Supporting Gender-Inclusive Communities
- Social Media 4 Parents
- Supporting your Child’s Learning
- Student Privacy: What Parents Need To Know About The Collection of Student Data
- Why No School Today?
- Professional Development and My Child’s Classroom
- Aboriginal Content in the Curriculum: Exploring Historical Relationships between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Peoples
- Pulling Together
- Finding Your Voice
- Breaking Barriers
- Social Media 4 Parents (option French Immersion)
- Supporting your Child’s Learning (option French Immersion)
- Les médias sociaux pour les parents
- Comment aider votre enfant à apprendre
Easy to do
- Presentations are short—one to one-and-a-half hours only.
- Presentations are conducted in the evening and close to home to minimize costs.
- Local parent contacts book directly with the BCTF.
- Presentations are public and may be attended by the local media.
Tips from evaluations
Feedback on the presentations from presenters and participants has been extremely positive. Below is a summary of tips for success.
- Be prepared.
- Avoid education jargon.
- Use humour.
- Use child-centred language.
- Don’t get defensive.
- Stick around after the formal presentation.
- Tell your personal stories. (It helps to be a parent yourself.)
To sign up
If you are interested in being placed on our roster of parent presenters please complete and submit the
Parent presenters contact information form.
Thank you for volunteering. We are sure you will find the experience stimulating and rewarding. Please feel free to contact Jenny Garrels at 604-871-1871, toll-free 1-800-669-9163 (Local 1871), or e-mail email@example.com for further information.
Pour plus d’information sur les programme en français, contactez Cécilia Huard de la Marre at 604-871-1869 toll-free 1-800-669-9163 (Local 1869), ou firstname.lastname@example.org.