BCTF.ca is changing
We've collected thousands of surveys to hear from you about your experience with the website, and you’ve told us that BCTF.ca needs significant change.
Specifically, you’ve told us:
- the organization of the website makes it difficult to find information or use search.
- the website can be complex and overwhelming.
- PDF files and documents are difficult to read on mobile devices and hard to locate using search.
- the visual design is out of date and lacks consistency.
- links on the website are broken and content is out of date or not maintained.
How BCTF.ca is changing
We are building a new BCTF.ca as a digital service that supports, engages, and informs members, parents, and the public.
Instead of redesigning this website which was originally created in 2006, are creating a new website built around meeting the needs of members. This will include content currently on TeachBC, the Member Portal, and BCTF.ca.
We will be making many improvements to BCTF.ca including:
- improving findability so that the search engine works better.
- improving accessibility and meeting accessibility standards so that everyone can use BCTF.ca.
- improving discoverability by making the website simple and intuitive so that you can access information.
- improving usability by organizing BCTF.ca content around the needs of members rather than the structure of the organization.
These changes are significant which means the new BCTF.ca will look a lot different than it has in the past.
What happens if we don’t make these changes?
Some of us have grown accustomed to how the website works, despite all its quirks. But unless we change the structure and content of BCTF.ca, our site will continue to have the same problems.
- Currently, only 14% of members describe the website as easy to use and navigate.
- While the website and member portal receive over 1.5 million hits a year, two-thirds of content on BCTF.ca is viewed by less than 100 people.
- 21% of members say it is challenging to complete tasks on the website and 41% of members say they are unable to complete the task they came to the website to complete.
What’s happening next
Over the next few months, we will provide updates in this space on the progress of the new website. We will share with you what is changing and how these changes will make the website better.