Welcome to the BCTF professional development web page. Click on the table of content links below for more information about each topic.
One of the primary goals of the BCTF is to promote the continuous career long, professional growth of our members. Professional development (PD) is considered to be a process of personal growth through programs, services and activities designed to enable members, individually or collectively, to enhance professional practice.
Professional development at the local level is governed by the collective agreement and local union policies. Throughout the province, there is a variety of methods by which local members are served. Central to all local union provisions is the recognition of professional autonomy of members to plan and pursue their professional growth.
To find out more, go to Professional Development in the BCTF.
The BCTF has established professional development policies and procedures which are published in the BCTF Members' Guide.
Peer support service
Professional development days
New Teacher Mentoring Project
The New Teacher Mentoring Project is funded by a grant awarded in spring 2012 by the BC Ministry of Education to support a joint BCTF/UBC pilot project aimed at developing mentoring programs to support new teachers within BC school districts that currently do not have structured mentoring programs. During the 2012–13 school year, the pilot project focuses on three districts—Haida Gwaii, Kootenay/Columbia, and Kamloops/Thompson—which were chosen based on their differing geographic, demographic, and cultural contexts.
- Professional and Social Issues (PSI) workshops program | Liste des ateliers du Bureau des dossiers professionnels et sociaux disponibles en français
- School Union Representative Training (SURT) Program | Liste des ateliers du Programme de formation des représentants syndicaux du personnel enseignant (SURT) disponibles en français
- Workshop request form (PSI) To request a workshop, please use this form. Include alternate dates, if any. You may also contact Bonnie Quan Symons at 604-871-1857, or 1-800-663-9163 local 1857.
Formulaire de demande d’un atelier en français (Dossiers professionnels et sociaux et SURT)
Pour demander un atelier, utilisez, s'il vous plaît, ce formulaire. Merci d’inclure des dates alternatives, le cas échéant. Vous pouvez également communiquer avec Cécilia Huard de la Marre au 604-871-1869 ou au numéro sans frais 1-800-663-9163 ext. 1869.
- Workshop request form (SURT) To request a SURT workshop, please use this form. Include alternate dates, if any. You may also contact Michele Hope at 604-871-1860, or 1-800-663-9163 local 1860.
- Health and Safety workshops
Tripartite health and Safety Workshop request form
- Facilitator workshop feedback form 2012–13 | Commentaire facilitateur
- Professional Development Calendar
- New Teachers' and Student Teachers' Conference
- Teacher Mentorship: A Provincial Conversation, April 10–11, 2014