BCTF President Irene Lanzinger, in her presentation to the BC Selecting Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services, urged the provincial government to focus on overcoming poverty, and improving services to children.
Five key priorities are addressed in the Education Funding brief:
- Eliminate child poverty: set a target, create a plan, and take action.
- Provide a universal childcare program and fully fund the early literacy programs initiated by government.
- Restore the level of service to students with special needs.
- Reduce class sizes so that all children get adequate attention to their learning.
- Fully fund costs for services that the province has downloaded onto boards of education.
Members can access the complete submission by going to bctf.ca.
The Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services is a legislative committee that is touring the province to gather input before the next provincial budget. Members can also have their own individual say on budget priorities by going to www.leg.bc.ca/budgetconsultations. The deadline for submissions has been extended to Friday, October 24.