The value of school libraries
" We must all make the effort to ensure that our schools have the resources to provide the print and electronic sources, the technology, and the professional library staff to give all of our children the skills and the tools they need to navigate their way in this knowledge society. "
-- Roch Carrier, former National Librarian of Canada
"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education." Harold Howe - former U.S. Commissioner of Education
The de-valuation of school libraries in British Columbia
Many of our public school libraries in British Columbia are closed or only open part of the day. The provincial government's goal is "to create the best educated, most literate jurisdiction on the continent." Achieving improved literacy requires a commitment to school libraries that are well funded and fully staffed by teacher-librarians.
What the research shows
The following studies and articles highlight the strong link between school libraries, teacher-librarians, and student achievement, and statistically show the decline in school libraries and teacher-librarians.
Canadian studies and reports
International studies and articles
- American Association of School Librarians. (2013). Strong school libraries build strong students. Infographic and information sheet.
- Biagini, M.K. (2012). How do school libraries help Pennsylvania students achieve academic success? What school library advocates need to know. PA School Library Project.
- Francis, B.H., et al. (2010). School Librarians Continue to Help Students Achieve Standards: The Third Colorado Study
- House Standing Committee on Education and Employment. (2011). School libraries and teacher librarians in 21st century Australia. Commonwealth of Australia.
- Kachel, D.E., & Lance, K.C. (2013, Mar 7). Latest study: A full-time school librarian makes a critical difference in boosting student achievement. School Library Journal.
- Lance, K.C., et al. (1993). The impact of school library media centers on academic achievement. (Original Colorado study).
- Lonsdale, Michele. (2003). Impact of school libraries on student achievement: A review of the research. Australian Council for Educational Research.
- Scholastic Library Publishing. (2008). School libraries work! Research Foundation Paper.