BCTF Code of Ethics
The Code of
Ethics states general rules for all members of the BC Teachers’ Federation
(BCTF) for maintaining high standards of professional service and conduct
toward students, colleagues, and the professional union. Members are advised to
contact local union officers or appropriate BCTF staff for advice on how to
proceed with issues related to the BCTF Code of Ethics.
- The member speaks and acts toward students with respect and
dignity, and deals judiciously with them, always mindful of their individual
rights and sensibilities.
- The member respects the confidential nature of information
concerning students and may give it only to authorized persons or agencies
directly concerned with their welfare. The member follows legal
requirements in reporting child protection issues.
- A privileged relationship exists between members and students. The
member refrains from exploiting that relationship for material, ideological, or
- The member is willing to review with colleagues, students, and
their parents/guardians the practices employed in discharging the member’s
The member directs any criticism of the teaching performance
and related work of a colleague to that colleague in private. If the member
believes that the issue(s) has not been addressed, they may, after privately
informing the colleague in writing of their intent to do so, direct the
criticism in confidence to appropriate individuals who can offer advice and
It shall not be considered a breach of the Code of Ethics
for a member to follow the legal requirements for reporting child protection issues.
- The member acknowledges the authority and responsibilities of the
BCTF and its locals and fulfills obligations arising from membership in her or
his professional union.
- The member adheres to the provisions of the collective agreement.
- The member acts in a manner not prejudicial to job actions or
other collective strategies of her or his professional union.
- The member, as an individual or as a member of a group of members,
does not make unauthorized representations to outside bodies in the name of the
Federation or its locals.
*See 31.B.12 of the
Members’ Guide to the BCTF
(Members’ Guide Procedure 31.B.02)
Download in PDF format here for print purposes (in English and French).