The Code of Ethics states general rules for all members of the BC Teachers’ Federation (BCTF) for maintaining high standards of professional service and conduct toward students, colleagues, and the professional union. Members are advised to contact local union officers or appropriate BCTF staff for advice on how to proceed with issues related to the BCTF Code of Ethics.
- The member speaks and acts toward students with respect and dignity, and deals judiciously with them, always mindful of their individual rights and sensibilities.
- The member respects the confidential nature of information concerning students and may give it only to authorized persons or agencies directly concerned with their welfare. The member follows legal requirements in reporting child protection issues.
- A privileged relationship exists between members and students. The member refrains from exploiting that relationship for material, ideological, or other advantage.
- The member is willing to review with colleagues, students, and their parents/guardians the practices employed in discharging the member’s professional duties.
- The member directs any criticism of the teaching performance and related work of a colleague to that colleague in private. If the member believes that the issue(s) has not been addressed, they may, after privately informing the colleague in writing of their intent to do so, direct the criticism in confidence to appropriate individuals who can offer advice and assistance.*
It shall not be considered a breach of the Code of Ethics for a member to follow the legal requirements for reporting child protection issues.
- The member acknowledges the authority and responsibilities of the BCTF and its locals and fulfills obligations arising from membership in her or his professional union.
- The member adheres to the provisions of the collective agreement.
- The member acts in a manner not prejudicial to job actions or other collective strategies of her or his professional union.
- The member, as an individual or as a member of a group of members, does not make unauthorized representations to outside bodies in the name of the Federation or its locals.