Full-time Term — 2 Year Term
$65,286.95 to $77,457.94 per annum
Located on the unceded ancestral territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm, sḵwx̱wú7mesh, and səlil̓w̓ətaɬ nations since 1917, the British Columbia Teachers’ Federation (BCTF), is the union of professionals representing 50,000 public school teachers in the province of British Columbia, Canada. We here at the BCTF advocate for a free, inclusive, and quality public education system where the learning needs of all kindergarten to grade 12 students can be met.
The BCTF office building is situated in close proximity to the Canada Line and other major transit routes in a central Vancouver location. The BCTF provides an exceptional working environment for approximately 180 employees where respect, diversity, and professional growth are championed and valued.
We welcome applications from individuals who prioritize and share the same values of social justice, activism, and learning.
Function and Purpose
The BCTF is seeking an experienced Paralegal to work in its Legal Services Division. As part of a paralegal team of seven, this position supports the work of nine lawyers. The BCTF Legal Services Division provides legal services in the areas of Labour Law, Human Rights, Privacy and Freedom of Information, Teacher Regulation Branch matters, and other legal matters.
- One year’s training in generalist office/administrative methods and procedures.
- Minimum of three years’ paralegal work experience in a law firm, trade union office, or similar organization, in addition to at least four years’ senior administrative experience, preferably in a legal or labour relations environment.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and familiarity with electronic document and case management systems.
- Paralegal Certificate (Capilano University Certificate or Diploma Program, or equivalent).
- Eligibility for membership in BC Paralegal Association.
A demonstrated ability to:
- independently set work priorities.
- understand legal/analytical concepts.
- produce accurate, complete work in a timely and thorough manner.
- make apt and timely decisions.
- use effective oral and written communication skills.
- be a collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- act in a tactful, efficient, calm, and diplomatic manner in stressful situations relating to time-driven emergencies.
Benefits of working at the BC Teachers’ Federation include but are not limited to:
- a competitive salary and total compensation package
- ·optional flexible schedule including nine (9) day fortnight and four (4) day workweek during July and August
- employer-paid extended health and dental
- generous paid annual leave (20 days) and other entitlements
- ·opportunities for growth and access to professional development
- Municipal Pension Plan (employer and employee joint contributions)
- ·on-site parking/subsidized transit
- long-term disability
- life insurance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- a supportive team environment.
This posting will remain open until filled. Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and references, via the link JP0172-2023-04.
Diversity and Accessibility Statement
The BC Teachers’ Federation is committed to furthering social justice, diversity, decolonization, equity, and inclusion within our community. Applicants are encouraged to disclose, on a voluntary basis, whether they self-identify as a member of an equity-deserving group, which includes female, 2SLGBTQIA+ person, a person of colour, a person who has experienced racism, Aboriginal (Indigenous) person, and/or a person with a disability.
The BCTF strives for compliance with the Accessible British Columbia Act and ensuring our communities are as barrier-free as possible. Applicants requiring an accommodation are encouraged to contact the hiring manager at 604-871-2200.