On-call Casual Administrative Support
$28.18 - $35.72 per hour
Located on the unceded ancestral territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm, sḵwx̱wú7mesh, and səlil̓w̓ətaɬ nations since 1917, the British Columbia Teachers’ Federation (BCTF), is the union of professionals representing 50,000 public school teachers in the province of British Columbia, Canada. We here at the BCTF advocate for a free, inclusive, and quality public education system where the learning needs of all kindergarten to grade 12 students can be met.
The BCTF office building is situated in close proximity to the Canada Line and other major transit routes in a central Vancouver location. The BCTF provides an exceptional working environment for approximately 180 employees where respect, diversity, and professional growth are championed and valued.
We welcome applications from individuals who prioritize and share the same values of social justice, activism, and learning.
We are currently recruiting Administrative Support to work on a casual, on-call basis in our Vancouver office building.
Administrative Support Casuals provide assistance in a number of different areas in the British Columbia Teachers’ Federation including (but not limited to) Front Desk/Switchboard, Mailroom/Production, Communications, Research and Information Services, Human Resources, and Disability Claims and Membership Services.
Required Experience and skills
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in an office, mailroom, or warehouse environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to function effectively in a team environment
- Ability to take direction and problem-solve
- Demonstrated time-management and organizational skills
- Flexibility and willingness to accept a variety of assignments, sometimes on short notice
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lift/move 30-pound boxes on an occasional basis
- Experience with other software applications an asset.
The duties and responsibilities of an Administrative Support Casual includes:
- operating a switchboard and taking and conveying messages
- monitoring e-mail boxes to review and re-route in-coming e-mails
- receiving and directing visitors, booking rooms, planning, and organizing meetings
- making travel arrangements
- typing and editing correspondence and documents
- sorting and distributing mail
- preparing and sending outgoing mail
- processing files for offsite storage and retrieval
- data entry, uploading, filing, and retrieval of electronic and hard copy documents
- taking minutes of meetings
- printing, photocopying, collating, and distribution of documents
- assisting with events (set-up, refreshments, clean-up and take-down)
- transcribing audio files.
- Secondary school (Grade 12).
- One (1) year of general office/administrative methods training and procedures.
Benefits of working at the BC Teachers’ Federation
- a competitive salary, including 15% In lieu of benefits
- professional development opportunities
- opportunities to grow within the BCTF
- on-site parking/subsidized transit
- a supportive team environment.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé not later than 5:00 p.m., December 8, 2023, via the link JPCAS-2023-05.
Diversity and Accessibility Statement
The BC Teachers’ Federation is committed to furthering social justice, diversity, decolonization, equity, and inclusion within our community. Applicants are encouraged to disclose, on a voluntary basis, whether they self-identify as a member of an equity-deserving group, which includes female, 2SLGBTQIA+ person, a person of colour, a person who has experienced racism, Aboriginal (Indigenous) person, and/or a person with a disability.
The BCTF strives for compliance with the Accessible British Columbia Act and ensuring our communities are as barrier-free as possible. Applicants requiring an accommodation are encouraged to contact the hiring manager at 604-871-2202.