Six-month term, with possibility of extension
$56,580.76 to $66,791.86 per annum
The British Columbia Teachers’ Federation (BCTF), established in 1917, is the union of professionals representing 49,000 public school teachers in the province of British Columbia, Canada. All public school teachers belong to the BCTF and their local teachers’ association.
Housed in a modern, well-maintained office setting located close to the Canada Line and other major transit routes, the Federation provides an exceptional working environment where respect, learning, and professional growth are championed and valued.
As a member of the Executive Offices team the General Administrative Support position is responsible for completing various administrative support tasks as assigned by the Assistant Executive Director.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Records, edits, and files notes, minutes, and transcripts in accordance with BCTF document management standards using action, discussion, and verbatim form, for BCTF meetings, events, and proceedings.
- Verifies accuracy of documents and transcripts by checking copies against original records of proceedings, and accuracy of rulings by checking with proceeding chairperson(s).
- Proofreads, edits, and prepares documents, minutes, and transcripts for sign-off by proceeding chairperson(s) and filing of appropriate record.
- Supports the co-ordination of BCTF meetings, conferences, and events as needed. May include participating in planning teams and the booking of meeting spaces, co-ordinating of materials and technology, document preparation, and arranging for physical meeting needs.
- Confidential shredding, data entry, word processing, Excel spreadsheets, proof-reading, photocopying, physical and electronic filing in accordance with official BCTF Records requirements, taking phone messages, and providing routine information both in person and on the phone.
Three years of progressively responsible secretarial experience. Excellent grammatical, typing, and proofreading skills. Excellent minute-taking skills in action, discussion, and verbatim form. Demonstrated high degree of communication skills involving tact and diplomacy is also required
Completion of secondary school (Grade 12) including or supplemented by secretarial or business courses. Certification of minute-taking speed (via keyboarding/speed-writing/shorthand) at 85 WPM or more.
Benefits of working at the BC Teachers’ Federation
- a competitive salary
- flexible schedule including nine (9) day fortnight
- employer-paid extended health and dental
- generous annual vacation
- professional development allowance
- Municipal Pension Plan
- ·on-site parking/subsidized transit
- long-term disability
- life insurance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- a supportive team environment.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and references, not later than 5:00 p.m., September 30, 2022, via the link JP0260-2022-03.
Because the BCTF has an affirmative action policy, an applicant may wish to provide, on a voluntary basis, information as to whether they self-identify as a member of an equity-seeking group, which includes female, trans* (trans, transgender, transsexual, genderqueer, two-spirit, transwoman, transman), visible minority or racialized person, Aboriginal (Indigenous) person, person with a disability, or lesbian, gay, or bisexual person.