Special Education/Learning Assistance Documentation and Forms
NEW BCTF discussion guide to the changes in the Ministry of Education’s Special Education Services: A Manual of Policies, Procedures and Guidelines (“Refreshed” Version, 2006) This discussion guide identifies recent changes to the Manual and their implications. Check back from time to time for updates on additional changes.
B.C. Ministry of Education
Other IEP Resources
This checklist, developed by BC teachers, will aid other teachers in preparing IEPs
- Questions and Answers on the topic of Adaptations and Modifications by Lavana Heel.
This 8-page resource written by a BC teacher answers such questions as: What are the different types of adaptations? Do students who lag behind other students by two grade levels require a modified program? Isn't it cheating to give some students different accommodations or adaptations? Does reading or scribing for a child mean that the subject is modified? ... and many more.
- A Guide for Developing IEPs for Reading
by Dawn Reithaug (2005)
Includes lists of phrases for developing goals and objectives, over 300 objectives, lists of practices and adaptations to attach to the IEP, ways to measure progress. $34.95. To order, contact Stirling Head Enterprises email@example.com.
- Creating IEPs and Developing Measurable IEP Goals and Objectives
Converted to PDF from is a 66-slide powerpoint presentation, developed by Lavana Heel.
- Developing a Five Star Plan
Educational leaders Yselldyke & Thurlow identified the fundamental elements of a balanced educational program for all students, including those with significant special needs. Debra Mackie has developed those 5 fundamentals into 5 elements to plan or review a student's program.
- ERIC Digests
- IEP template
Created by Madeline Pohlmann, First Nations Education Steering Committee.
- A simple and easy to use IEP Template for students on ADAPTED programs
This is a double sided one page Word document with several checklists. It was created for use at the middle school and secondary school, but could be adapted for elementary use.
- Another simple IEP Template
Created in Word, with expanding fields. Print using landscape view.
- The Individual Education Plan... A Living Document
A joint project of the BCTF, the NDTA, and School District 68.
- Individual Education Plans - A Best Practice Process - The Intent of the IEP
by Madeline Pohlmann, FNESC Special Education Support
- Looking at IEP's As Best Practice - IEP's Can Make A Difference
FNESC & FNSA, Madeline Pohlmann, Special Education Support
- McGill Action Planning System (MAPS)
- Menu of IEP Goals and Objectives , from Oregon, in the following areas:
-Recreation and Leisure
-Self-management and Daily Living
-Speech and Language
- Sample IEP Template 1
- Sample IEP Template 2
- School District #22 Vernon - Procedures
Reprinted with permission School District 22
- SD #52 Prince Rupert - Student Support Services Checklist
Reprinted with permission School District 52
- School District #61 Victoria - Special Education Resources
Reprinted with permission School District 61
- Standards-Based Approach to IEPs
Many local school districts are embracing a new approach to developing Individualized Education Programs. Understanding this standards-based approach to IEP development and how it can benefit students with LD is the focus of this Advocacy Brief. While the requirement that every student receiving special education have an IEP is not new, linking the content of a student's IEP to the state's academic standards for the student's enrolled grade is both new and challenging.
- Student Learning Plan - Template
- Teacher's Guide to Individual Education Plans
Talking about Special Education Handbooks, written by the First Nations Schools Association and the First Nations Education Steering Committee. For teachers and parents. Written in easy to understand language. Download copies from their publications section on their web site: www.fnsa.ca/programs.htm
- The Year At A Glance
Student Support Services - School District 68, Nanaimo-Ladysmith
An overview of typical processes and procedures provided by the special education teacher in a month-by-month format.
Updated June 2011