There is a new nominee position on the BC Teacher Council (BCTC). This is an additional BCTF member to the BCTC, for a total of four BCTF-nominated members. The BCTF seeks applications from active BCTF members who meet the qualifications outlined in this document.
Under section 9 (3) of the Teachers Act, the term of the appointment will be for three years. Nominations by the BCTF must be made in accordance with the BC Teachers’ Council Regulation, which requires that the BCTF be invited to nominate at least three eligible candidates.
The council is currently composed of 15 members:
- members nominated by the BCTF (now to be 4)
- persons elected in zones
- persons appointed by the Minister, including one person with knowledge of independent schools
- an additional person is appointed by the Minister as a non-voting member.
The object of the council is to:
- establish standards for the education of applicants for certification of qualification.
- establish standards from the conduct and competence of applicants for certificates of qualification and certificate holders.
Each applicant must:
- be a certificate holder.
- be a BCTF Member.
- reside in BC.
- provide in writing their consent to be nominated and willingness to serve on the BCTC.
The councilor will be required to take and sign an oath of office.
Further information can be found in the Teachers Act at: bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/11019_01
To apply, please complete the online CV application form on the BCTF website at bctf.ca/forms/CV/.
Direct enquiries to:
Christine Stewart, BC Teachers’ Federation, firstname.lastname@example.org
604-871-1800 or 1-800-663-9163 local 1800
Deadline: Friday, April 14, 2023, at 5:00 p.m.
(late applications will not be accepted)
Because the BCTF has an affirmative action policy, an applicant may wish to provide, on a voluntary basis, information as to whether they self-identify as a member of an equity-seeking group.