Supporting Your Child's Learning
You are your child’s first teachers. Your influence continues to be important throughout the school years. There are many ways you can extend your child’s learning through support, encouragement and practice at home.
The BCTF has developed
presentations for parents that provide opportunities to learn strategies, gain knowledge and explore concerns.
Brochure for parents of ELL students
British Columbia Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Provincial Specialist Association of the BC Teachers' Federation has produced a
brochure for parents of ELL students in BC public schools, which has been translated into fourteen of the most common languages spoken by students in BC public schools.
The brochure explains the following to parents:
- what ESL support might look like for their children,
- what is involved in learning a new language,
- how school in British Columbia may be different from what they experienced in their home countries,
- ways they can know how their children are doing at school, and
- what they can do to help their children learn.
Reading web page offers more tips and suggested materials.
- Here are some
tips for turning homework time into a productive, positive experience.
- Once your children are in intermediate grades or higher, they will need to develop good study skills. We offer some
study tips for your child to follow.
Learning games and activities
Confidence and self-esteem
Self-esteem and confidence are very important factors in a child's progress at school. Children who are generally confident and have high self-esteem are more likely to ask questions, participate actively, express their ideas, and take on new challenges. They are also better able to learn from mistakes, handle constructive criticism and often push themselves harder in learning. Conversely, when a child's self-esteem is low, he or she is more likely to be negative, withdraw, and experience failure more often. Here are some
suggestions to help your child grow in confidence and higher self-esteem.